Friday, December 19, 2008

I Am Not Evolving!

I've been reading a lot lately about how the news media is evolving. Newspapers are cutting staffs and bureaus, if they have any. Network TV is losing audience. Even local TV ratings are down (they never should have been up in the first place).

I like to read a newspaper. I like to hold it. I like to turn pages. I complain about the newsprint coming off on my hands but that's a small price to pay for the pleasure of savoring a well-turned phrase or diving into a well thought-out analysis of a complex subject.

I do not enjoy sitting in front of a screen for any length of time. My eyes get tired and my fingers seem to find the wrong key when I have to scroll up, down or sideways to follow a story.

Yes, I am fighting a losing battle against economic realities. And I will dabble --as I am now-- in new media (as I believe it's called) but I still open my door each morning with fresh anticipation when I reach for the newspaper on the front step.

Hey, the delivery guy needs to eat, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment