Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Recalculating" (updated, 3/13/11)

I took my GPS to Florida recently and generally speaking it worked OK. I missed a few voice directions here and there and the always polite female voice (Samantha-in-GPS-land) resignedly said: "recalculating."

After a few misses I thought I detected a tone of exasperation in the last "recalculating." But I was totally unprepared when we started off one morning and she started giving directions in GERMAN.

At first we didn't know what she was saying and in what language. Then we started laughing hysterically
when we recognized she was speaking German. 

How that happened neither I nor my wife could figure out, especially while driving. So when we heard Samantha's (I think it was still Samantha) guttural cry of: "neuberechnung!" Not only did we not know what she was saying it was enough to make me pull over to the side of the road and get to the bottom of this nonsense.

Solution: Go to "settings" and change the language to English. Problem: How it got to German? Unsolved.

By the way, I entered "recalculating" on iGoogle's translation service and got "neuberechnung" which may be what we heard and maybe does mean "recalculating."

No comments:

Post a Comment