Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm Depressed (at the moment)

I'm reading John Farmer's book, "The Ground Truth," subtitled "The Untold Story of America Under Attack on 9/11" and I just shake my head at virtually every sentence. If we think Congress is dysfunctional, Farmer makes our intelligence (an oxymoron if ever there was one) apparatus pre-and probably-post 9/11 absolutely non compos mentis.
It's not that individuals didn't know what they were doing it's that no one knew what anyone else was doing and probably still don't. And while the guys at the top made high-sounding pronouncements about new missions in the post-cold-war world,the guys in the trenches ignored them.
I don't want to discourage anyone from reading this worthwhile book (I'm still into it) but isn't it beginning to sound familiar?
The President says we must modernize our health care system. So what happens? Instantly,the Republicans object and the Democrats, despite huge majorities in both houses of Congress fall all over themselves trying to appease their various factions. Result: zip, zilch, nada.
Tomorrow (as Scarlett would say) is another day; the President's big Open House day.
Republicans say they will attend but have already lowered expectations of agreeing to anything.
Best case scenario: The President shows them up for the obstructionists they are and lights a fire under the Democrats to DO SOMETHING about improving our health care system.
I wish I could be optimistic.
Stay tuned.
Cheers, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment