Friday, February 18, 2011

Apps Amok

Yesterday I ended my blog with the suggestion that today's gizmos would be as outdated tomorrow as I am. Little did I know that this morning's paper would bring this headline: "Apple is weighing a cheaper iPhone."

Maybe there's a market for yet another version of the iPhone, but what blew me away was the suggestion of one analyst that Apple's new version of the iPhone would "have to be able to run the more than 300,000 apps available in the App Store."

Three hundred thousand apps? On one device? Really?

Would someone really download all 300,000 apps to this smaller, cheaper iPhone? I get sensory overload just thinking about it.

The question in my mind is are we creating increasingly complex technology because we can or because there really is a need for it?

How many apps does a person use in a day? Datebook, calendar, music, photos, all are being marketed as must-haves on this little device. If you are glued to your smart phone all day long when do you take time to think? Or smell the roses?

No wonder so many people are stressed out. They're too plugged in.

No comments:

Post a Comment