Thursday, March 17, 2011

Forget Something?

We're not talking about serious stuff here but we all tend to forget things from time to time.

The other day I was almost out the door on the way to the gym when I realized I didn't have my "stuff." Said stuff included my water bottle, iPod, workout gloves (or whatever you call them), a towel and my ID tag to get in. The point is, I did remember it all at the last minute, averting a minor inconvenience.

This morning a friend accidentally locked his car keys in his car outside his doctor's office. He thought he had put them in his pocket but they fell to the seat alongside him instead. Fortunately the motor was not running. A good Samaritan waited at his car for the AAA to recover his keys while he walked to another medical appointment nearby.

Some years ago I locked my keys in the car with the motor running while I went to the dentist. Didn't notice it until I came out and then had to wait almost an hour for the AAA to resolve the situation. I don't think I was a serial forgetter at that time.

Here's another one. The mail came today and on top of the pile was an unaddressed envelope with a stamp and our return address in the upper left hand corner. It was a birthday card mailed yesterday without being addressed. That oversight was corrected today and the card will still get there in time. 

Did you ever forget where you put something in the house? Drives you crazy until you find it exactly where you left it in the first place.

We've developed a technique that works most times. Before leaving the house or even a room, we look behind us. It's not foolproof. I can walk right past something that should be taken and not realize it until my wife asks: "Do you have....?" Oops, back to the house.

Last night was a doozie. I went up and down stairs three times. First, to retrieve the book I was reading. Second to get  my cell phone which turned out to be on the table right next to where the retrieved book had been. And third, to check the garage door because my wife couldn't remember if she had closed it. She had. 

Given the state of the universe I'm grateful I can still go up and down stairs as often as necessary.

Remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment