Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Press 3 for Slowspeak

Of all the annoyances inflicted on us by voicemail what tops my list is when a real person finally comes to the phone and speaks so fast I have to ask her to slow down so I can understand what she's saying.

I say 'she" because invariably it's a woman, and by the sound of the voice, a young woman. Where do they learn to speak so quickly? Ever overhear teenagers talking to one another? Can you understand what they're saying? Actually, it makes no difference because they're not talking to you anyway.

It's the speed of the words pouring forth. I realize my hearing isn't what it used to be but, hey, give me a break. I was listening to an all-news station on the car radio today and the female announcer zipped through her spiel so fast I couldn't make out if she was giving me news or a commercial.

A fast delivery is one of the reasons people repeat things they thought they heard on the news when, in fact, the announcer might have said something entirely different.

While I can't slow down a news broadcaster, I'm not embarrassed to ask a customer service rep to slow down when answering my questions. What good is the "service" if you can't comprehend it?

Just because we have speed dialing on our telephones doesn't mean we have to have speed talking on the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment