Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Still Mulling

Some time ago I blogged about trying to decide whether to get a blu-ray disc player. I still don't have one but my mind is still open but getting more confused.

Every week, it seems, new technologies become available to stream movies from you computer to your TV set. I heard about Boxee Box just recently.

It offers hi-def transmission of movies as they become available as well as all kinds of old TV shows you may have missed or want to see again. Personally, if I've seen something once I rarely want to see it again. So old movies and old TV shows don't do it for me.

I was interested in the hi-def aspect of Boxee for a while until my son looked it over and noticed that it does not play DVDs. That gave me pause.

I'm a long-time Netflix subscriber and look forward to the mailman delivering my movie disc in its bright red envelope. There's something seductive about requesting something, waiting for it, being notified it's on its way and then actually receiving it.

The disc is real. You can hold it, put it in your DVD player and control the content to some degree. I'm not sure I trust the reception of content streamed via wi-fi from PC to TV. At least that's how I think it works.

I'm looking for someone who actually has one of these devices at home and is willing to demonstrate it for me. Then, maybe I'll finally make up my mind what, if anything, to do.

No hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment