Friday, June 17, 2011

Have a What?

Do you notice how often people tell you to “have a great day!” I wish they they really meant it but I'm sure they're just doing what they're told to do when ending a conversation with a customer or client. I find it banal and in some cases annoying.

If someone had said that to me today, I might have said: “have you looked out the window?” The weather was downright grouchy today. I suppose the meteorological phrase would be unsettled.

Starting last night we had really big claps of thunder accompanied by heavy downpours of rain. Then it stopped for a while and we had some morning sun. Later, thunder rolled through the area and it seemed all around Verona but not much rain. Then, whammo, more thunder and the rain came down hard and was mixed with hail.

I looked up “hail” to see exactly what caused it and the explanation was so technical I just left it there. Suffice it to say it's frozen rain caused by super-heated air colliding with super-cooled clouds in thunderheads. Or something like that. In any case its amazing to see and in some instance can cause damage. Don't go out in it.

So then the storms passed and the sun came out again for a while.

I like to watch thunderstorms and heavy downpours. They are amazing demonstration of raw nature. When I first thought about today's weather I thought it was grumpy. Then I thought that was too lame. Grouchy seemed about right.

About the way I feel when someone tells me to “have a great day!”

No comments:

Post a Comment