Thursday, August 4, 2011

I find the following presumptuous...

“It's a question as old as the hills. How do I move music off of my computer or smartphone and into the speakers in my house?”

The fact that it led the tech section of a major newspaper once again tells me how irrelevant I am, and surely others of my generation as well. “As old as the hills?” How old are those hills, young writer? Ten, twenty?

When I was the writer's age our hills didn't have computers or smartphones. And the only speakers we had were inside a radio.

If you wanted to hear music you turned on the radio. If you were affluent, you had a record player, yes a record player, or phonograph as they once were called. They spun discs at 78 rpm. Each side of the disc had one song or segment of classical music. Sometimes you changed the records manually.

And you listened to them in the room the device was in. Of course you could have radios in more than one room. Chances are different occupants had different listening tastes so if they were all home at the same time you may have heard more than one sound at any given time.

Then came television and again, that usually was a one-in-a-room situation. And you know what? We lived with it. I can't remember a single person of my acquaintance asking how they could get “their music” in every room in the house.

Obviously this is a modern dilemma which the tech savvy are busily solving. Good luck to them and many happy hours of listening wherever they may be.

As long as it's not next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment