Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Who's Calling?

I answered the phone this afternoon and a recorded voice said: “This is an important message from card services...” I hung up.

Wait a minute, I thought, if this is such an important message why am I getting a recording? Wouldn't you think “important” information should be conveyed by an important person? Or any “live” person, for that matter.

How about those telemarketing calls where they can't pronounce your name correctly. Mr. Fryd-man? It's pronounced Freed-man but I don't tell them that, I just hang up.

Got one for Mr. Fryd-man later in the day. Caller said he was from some foundation and wanted to know if I suffered from a particular disease. Hung up quickly before I caught it.

The phone rings at supper and it's from a guy taking a survey on behalf of my auto dealer. Wanted to know if I was satisfied with my recent service. I said yes and then he asks if I'd answer a few more questions. Look, I said, I told you I was satisfied and that's all you need to know. Hung up.

Then there's the call your caller ID shows as “unavailable.” Already I'm on guard. If it's a real person they'll often greet you by name with a rising inflection at the end. “Mr. Friedman?” If you're calling my number who do you expect -- Godzilla? And I love it when they start by asking “how are you today?” None of your business, I think, hanging up.

It has to be hard making cold calls for whatever reason on unsuspecting persons. I can only imagine how discouraging it must be for the caller, particularly if their compensation depends on results.

Nevertheless, I don't like those calls and do not respond kindly to them. Call me a grouch or whatever but those calls are an intrusion on my time which I value more and more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment