Sunday, May 29, 2011

Not Yet...

I lived up to my moniker today by muddling through most of the afternoon until I finally got my new Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player connected to the internet. But I still haven't been able to stream anything to the TV.

It's well known that these electronic devices are made in Japan and their manuals are written by Japanese engineers and translated into semi-English by eight-year-olds. And printed in such small type I had to use a magnifying glass to decipher one particular item.

Several hours were spent trying to convince the built-in wi-fi in the Blu-ray to hook up with my wireless modem. It took two phone calls to the store where I bought the Blu-ray to accomplish this seemingly simple task.

The first call was to ask where I would find the wireless security code so I could enter it. The second call was to report that I found it, entered it and Blu-ray still would not accept it. That's when my salesman told me the letters in the code had to be in upper case. I had seen no instructions to that effect nor on how to maneuver the remote to get from lower case to upper. Only through diligent trial and error did I manage it.

And finally it connected to the internet. But success is still denied.

When I clicked on the Netflix logo to stream a movie all I got was a message saying “the software in this unit must be upgraded.” What unit? The brand new Blu-ray? The Netflix site? What? By this time I had had enough. My afternoon scotch was calling. No security code needed.

I'm busy with a pleasant family affair tomorrow where the teenagers present may be able to sort out my problems. Or not. Speaking of family, I have to give my wife extra points for wisely staying in another room, quietly reading her book and, without commenting, charting my progress by the assorted grunts and groans coming from the den.

Next, phone calls to both Netflix and Sony seem to be in order.

Is the suspense killing you?

No comments:

Post a Comment