Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Eighteen “Great” Minutes

I spent 18 minutes with the great granddaughters in Israel via Skype today and it was delightful. The girls are two-and-a-half and 15 months. The older took to the experience like any women would: she loved the phone and waved at the picture of great-grandpa and showed off her vocabulary for me.

The younger was a little shy at first but with prompting from her father she loosened up and said a few words, waved to me and was otherwise adorable. In case you were wondering, Grandma was at the beauty parlor so I had the girls all to myself.

Naturally, I also spoke with their parents and the chances are we will visit via Skype again from time to time. It's a very nice experience.

Of course there's always a downside but this has nothing to do with the kids or our visit. It's all about Skype. They bug me. Despite the fact that I'm now a member, or whatever they call their users, they keep sending me emails to sign in, make calls, urge others to sign up, buy stuff.

Enough already! I'll make calls when I want to and I'll encourage people to use the service when it benefits them or me. I see Skype as a useful utility but I don't want to be harassed because I'm not using it enough.

Does your gas company urge you to cook more so you can use up more gas? Turn down the burners Skypers, you got a good thing going. Let it simmer awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment