Saturday, June 25, 2011

No Jokes, Please

I've often asked friends not to send me jokes via email. Still they come. I generally delete them immediately since I don't know where they originate. And the hackers are getting closer.

Just recently we received two emails from a friend that suggested we link to something that looked odd to me. So I sent the email back to my friend for verification. Sure enough someone had stolen their address book and was emailing all their friends with these bogus links.

The same thing happened not too long ago to the rabbi of our synagogue. This was a classic call for financial assistance from overseas. I'm sure you've all had those hard-luck emails that ask you to send money to bail out a person in distress. No way, no how.

Another thing popped up this week. Facebook, which I rarely use, sends me a notice once in a while to check in because I have new photo tags and should log in to look at them. When I did I found links to virtually every member of our congregation. Unnecessary and unwanted.

This urge to be “friended” or be in constant touch is truly getting out of hand. Although some in the mainstream media are finally recognizing this trend can be harmful by and large every new bit of technology still is hyped as if it's the cure for all communications ills.

I didn't realize we were that ill-equipped to talk to one another. If you've got something to say, call me. That still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment