Sunday, November 27, 2011

When opposites are really opposite...

How often have you said one thing and meant the opposite? If you're like us, quite often.

Example: The other day my wife uttered this beauty, “I never did that again.” Of course she meant “before.” I'm hardly immune to this trait. In fact, I'm famous for saying “no” before I say “yes.” I caught the habit from a tennis friend who is congenitally negative.

Unquestionably it's the “speak-before-you-think” syndrome (SBYT, in scientific parlance).

While the symptoms are confusing, the polite thing to do is to gently correct the speaker. Ignoring it could lead to strange consequences.

You might actually believe the person meant what they said. That could be awkward.

Muddling is easy. Getting through is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment