Thursday, December 1, 2011

Is Someone Peeking?

Yesterday I wrote about our tennis group called The Muffineers. Suddenly, there appeared on my blog page three items related to muffins.

How did they get there? Is Google scanning my blog for commercial opportunities without telling me? I'm not selling muffins or anything else, for that matter. I write for fun despite Samuel Johnson's exclamation “no man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money.”

I used to get paid for writing when I was a reporter, then editor and later radio and TV producing. But I never considered that pure writing. I was communicating information in various media and enjoyed doing it. I think I was pretty good at it.

This is different. This is me commenting on whatever I feel like. I try to make it interesting and, if I can, entertaining. And if the only one entertained is me, that's OK too.

I'm aware that many bloggers succeed in “monetizing” their stuff. I read about them all the time. I wish them well. I don't have that kind of ambition now. I'm happy if I can turn a neat phrase to make a point.

And if anyone out there is reading me, how about saying hello?

Maybe we could share a muffin sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment