Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Second Seder

The second Seder is the penalty inflicted on all Jews living outside of Israel.

Jews in Israel celebrate Passover with a Seder on the first night. That's because, according to legend, they know when Passover begins. We in the Diaspora, however, are not so sure. So we have two Seders just to make sure we get it right, eventually.

One year we spent Passover in Israel with my son and his family and we had one marvelous Seder on the first night. He wanted us to do it again the next night because we don't live in Israel. We said no thanks, when in Israel we'll do as the Israelis do. One night was fine.

It's not that we don't enjoy Seders. It's just that there's too much food to consume on consecutive nights. It takes the rest of the eight days of the holiday to try to lighten the load.

When you think about it, God didn't provide brisket for the Jews fleeing Egypt. They were lucky to get manna and water. Not that I want manna and water. I'd really rather have the brisket and all the trimmings. I also love the charoses and bitter herbs and matzoh. I just think once a year might be enough.

As you can see, I'm filing this blog late because I was too full to think last night after our wonderful second Seder with friends and relatives.

Happy Passover, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment