Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Beware the Update

It looked so inviting I couldn't resist downloading Google 6, a new (to me) program with all kinds of cool features.

Naturally I “accepted” all the conditions without bothering to read them. Who does? The next thing I know I've got a colorful new home page displaying all those new features. So I start playing with them to see what they'll do and whether I really can use them.

When I had enough experimenting I was ready to write my nightly Blog, which I access through my “Favorites” column. But wait – where was my “Favorites” column? It wasn't there. What happened to it? Did I panic? You bet.

I had no idea what had happened to the column but I did know that nothing ever completely disappears from a PC. It had to be in there somewhere. But how to find it?

Think, Marv, think. Aha, I says. I'll click on “All Programs” and find Internet Explorer, my default browser. Click on IE and lo and behold my original home page returns, including my “Favorites” column.

Crisis averted. Home page restored. Blog written. Lesson learned.

Beware of updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment