Thursday, May 19, 2011

We Are All Muddlers (Except Those Who Aren't)

David Pogue's column in today's New York Times, (Ins and Outs of Using Gadgetry) describes me to a T. He even recognizes that most of us “muddle along, picking up scattershot techniques as we go.” That's me, all right.

He promises that today's column should be “the first installment of...The Big Book of Basic Technology Knowledge – the prerequisite for using electronics today's society.” I hope so.

The fact that my blog title is Muddling Marv in the Modern World is no accident. Although I try my best to turn off my cell phone during a performance, definitely a Pogue no-no, I find most of today's gadgetry either useless for my lifestyle or totally confusing. Sometimes both.

Since I'm retired I don't need to be connected 24/7. I don't have a smart phone so I don't deal with apps. I have a 10-year-old PC which for the most part serves my purposes. But I'm feeling the pressure to get some sort of tablet computer but I don't know which.

I'm still wrestling with the idea of switching from the Netflix mail DVD to some sort of streaming device, but I can't make up my mind. No one has convinced me as yet which might be preferable.

So while I found Pogue's tips for navigating more easily through Gadget World extremely interesting, very few of them apply to me. Is there an opt-out app?

However, I urged him to keep up the good work. I look forward to his column every week.

It keeps me grounded in simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment