Sunday, May 15, 2011

Another Small Step

I recently learned that my granddaughter in Israel is now on Skype. So I signed up for it, too. The free version to start. Now we'll see how well it works for keeping in touch and receiving more up to date photos of our infant great-grandson.

I tried Skype once before but no one else I knew was on it at the time, so I let it go. I also recently discarded a microphone I had bought to use with Skype. It went into the recycle bin with all the other plastics on pickup day. Who knew?

So we'll get another one soon. Meanwhile I do have a Logitech camera plugged into my PC and that may help with video calls. As I said, I just installed Skype this evening and need to play around with it more to see what it can do. Or I can do with it.

So as I, a decidedly senior citizen, am slowly trying to learn how to use the internet more effectively, I see that certain parents are now enrolling their 2-year-olds into something called Junior Kumon, a sort of prep school for kindergarten. How crazed is that?

There is absolutely no evidence that this early plunge into education provides any benefit going forward. But peer pressure prevails and the mommies succumb.

Perhaps I can learn more about Skype from a Junior Kumonite. Or Kumonette. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment