Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Aftermath

I was tossed around in a perfect storm of technology today starting with an early morning Skype video call from one of our granddaughters in Israel. She used the ear buds of her iPod as a microphone and we heard her just fine. The video was clear and we had nice pictures of our great-grandson on her lap.

The only drawback was she couldn't hear us too well. My wife scurried to get her iPod so we could try the ear-bud-as-mic trick, too. I plugged it into the PC and it worked. I must get a real microphone some day.

So what's the aftermath of any vacation? Sorting out the pictures, of course. Transferring them from camera to PC is not a problem. But getting them organized for uploading to the web took a good part of my afternoon. Since the Israeli branch of the family started using Google's Picasa service, I thought I'd try it.

First, I had to to consolidate 51 images into a single folder and then transfer that folder to Picasa for uploading. I liked the captioning feature which I used for identification of locales and people as well as brief comments.

The time spent navigating the system will be time well spent if the children and grand-children enjoy visiting our Maine 2011 album.

It was another full day of muddling through Skype, mics, photo transfers and uploads. But definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment