Sunday, September 11, 2011

24 Steps

We like to exercise. My wife goes to an exercise class for seniors three days a week. While she's there, if I'm not playing golf or tennis, I go to our gym and run through my own set of drills.

Her class stresses stretching and strengthening core muscles. I do a variety of aerobic exercises and then move on to some free weights and resistance machines. Just trying to maintain muscle tone, not build muscle mass. Missed that boat a long time ago.

We go to the gym together on weekends or on days she's not in class. The room with all the equipment is downstairs. No problem there. In fact there is always a moment of suspense on descending to see just how busy the room is and whether our favorite machines are available. Actually there's more than enough to go around. But you do get used to certain treadmills or ellipticals.

We generally spend about an hour going through our favorite routines and then it's time to go home. You've probably guessed where I'm going with this.

UP those 25 steps to the main floor and out. We both feel this is the hardest part of the workout. She goes first; five steps to a landing, breathe, 10 more steps, breathe, then the final 10 to the top. My ascent is not quite as measured but still a minor struggle since I carry the bag with all our “stuff.”

But we make it and look forward to the next, much easier trip DOWN those 25 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment