Friday, September 30, 2011

"Ruthless"

I've decided to be ruthless in clearing my closet of clothes I no longer wear or need. They will be targeted for persons less fortunate than me.

But it isn't easy to choose. Staring at clothes I've enjoyed wearing over the years I realize I have a close attachment to these garments. They are part of my work history and even my retirement. They are part of my DNA. In fact, some of them many even pre-date DNA.

Let's face it, I need a suit only for weddings, Bar or Bat Mitzvahs and the High Holy Days (and even then I can usually get away with a blue blazer and slacks). And since I also have two suits and a tux what more do I need?

So now comes the moment of truth for those “extra” sports jackets, slacks and a slew of dress shirts that go with them. Today's casual style makes most of them obsolete. Many will have to go. The selection process will not be easy.

There's a few places I can donate these perfectly good, albeit somewhat dated, garments. I only hope they will accept them. We tried giving away some clothing years ago but the agency wouldn’t accept them because they were “too old fashioned.” Picky, picky. That was then, this is now.

We will get rid of stuff.

Coming soon, “Ruthless II: What Went, What Stayed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment