Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bit by the GIGO Bug

You know, the acronym for Garbage In Garbage Out.

I went to check on an online bill pay this evening. The bill was supposed to be paid today. Well, I thought it was supposed to be paid today. Seems I entered tomorrow's date instead.

It's not a crisis thing but it is annoying. Now I have to go on line again tomorrow to make sure the bill is actually paid.

A few weeks ago I got it right but hadn't received a confirmation email from the bank by the end of the day. I called to find out why and the spokesperson said they had so many online bills to pay they were behind in the email notifications. That was not reassuring.

Anyway, this time it was my fault and we'll check in the morning to see if all went as planned. Lesson learned. Check, Check and Double Check. Then check again.

Speaking of checks, remember when we just paid bills by check? Seemed a lot simpler then. Just you, the post office and the recipient. Of course, you had to remember to pay the bill on time then, too.

But still, fewer hands to muddle things up. Mine included.

No comments:

Post a Comment