Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rambling

I took a creative writing course once at a nearby adult school. One of the things our instructor suggested was when confronted with a blank piece of paper just start writing. Whatever comes to mind.

Sometimes she would give us a topic sentence, or part of a sentence and ask us to write a short short story from that starting point. Amazingly everyone did. And then we read them aloud. Some of them were surprisingly good. I think I saved mine somewhere. Would I ever look at them again? Probably not.

Then there are newspaper or magazine stories I thought I'd write about, but haven't. There's a stack of them on my desk. It's getting unwieldy.

I've got all sorts of notes in that pile, including a discount coupon from a local bagel bakery. Not writing about that, I just know where it is when I need it. I digress.

Then again this little ramble is all about digression. It's obvious I have no particular subject in mind for tonight's blog. It's been a good day. We received new pictures of our family in Israel. My wife and I played a bit with our new Nook and learned a few things. I actually sent two emails from it and received replies. Wondrous.

Who knew I could be muddling closer to the modern world before year's end. There even may be a smart phone in my future.

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown: “Good Grief!”

No comments:

Post a Comment