Monday, December 19, 2011

“No Problem!”

Usually said with a smile or, if on the phone, followed by “be right back.” And then, nothing.

I hear it mostly from the young, signifying that my question or request is such a simple task it will be immediately satisfied. Except when it isn't.

“No problem,” sometimes shortened to “no prob,” is condescending to my ear. It suggests child's play for the responder. Except when they can't.

For instance, calling a store on the phone and asking to speak with a manager. No problem, says the responder, who then disappears leaving me holding either a dead line or incessantly boring music or, worse, store commercials.

“May I have some additional dressing for my salad,” I ask the waiter. No problem, says he or she, except it becomes one when the server fails to return with the dressing before the check.

You've all had these experiences. You've all heard the expression, ad nauseum.

“No problem,” except when it is.

Whatever happened to: “I'll check on that and get right back to you.” Or, “I'll look into it.” Or, “I'll be happy to assist you with that.” Or, “Sure, I'll get that for you right away.”

Is there a problem with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment