Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Old Man and the PC

It's hard but I'm not giving up. It may take many tries but eventually I get to where I'm going on line even though my wife will often say: fuggetaboutit.

Two recent examples:

I had to change my account information on E-ZPass. So I entered my account number and password. Error message pops up, wrong data. Re-enter same data, same error. Fourth time I enter same data and this time it accepts. Mission accomplished after much gnashing of teeth.

How about this one: This afternoon, I tried to set up an account on Stub Hub to buy tickets to a Yankees game in June. Filled out email address and a password and then had to enter "country." I selected "United States."

Sorry, PC doesn't recognize this country. Please enter a country. What? The United States is no longer a country?

Called my son who is a successful Stub Hub user. He advised me to call Stub Hub directly and maybe they can complete the process over the phone, i.e., set up an account, buy tickets.

Did that. Here's the Stub Rub. The nice man at the other end of the phone couldn't find the tickets I selected although they were on the screen in front of me. And while he continued searching for them, I, with phone in one hand, used the other to re-enter all the account data requested. Including, by the way, the country of the United States.

Account opened, tickets purchased. Looking forward to the game.

That's what I call muddling.

No comments:

Post a Comment