Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Nod to Technology

Most of the time I gripe about excess technology. Today was different.

We received a call this morning from Israel announcing the birth of our fourth great-grandchild, a girl. We had been expecting the news and were delighted when it came.

There was nothing extraordinary about using the phone to tell us the news, but then we had a bonus.

My grandson, who told us about the birth, Skyped us as well and we had a video visit with him, my granddaughter (his wife) and their two girls, who are both under 3. The girls looked a little confused about who they were seeing on their computer screen. But they were adorable.

Things were complicated by poor audio at their end. We could hear them fine but they had problems understanding us. I still haven't figured out why we can hear a Skype call fine but the other party can't hear us well.

Later in the day, through the miracle of technology, the new father sent us a photo of his daughter via email. Naturally she's beautiful and everyone comments on how much hair she has.

Anyway, all is well with the entire Israeli family and we are planning to visit them early next year. Lot's of kids to catch up with.

In New Jersey, we spent a wonderful Thanksgiving with our son, Rob, daughter-in-law, Caroline, their four young adult children and Caroline's Mom.

I'm especially thankful for having completed yesterday 44 radiation treatments for prostate cancer. I don't usually discuss health issues with other people but when I mention this experience to other men of my age I'm astonished at how many responses of “been-there-done-that” I get.

I guess it's the de rigueur disease of older men.

No comments:

Post a Comment