Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hello, Please Hold

Here's a new one.

I got a call today from Hertz. An automated voice tells me they want to update my Hertz #1 Club Gold profile. (Sure they do.) Would I please verify my identity. If I am who I am press star. I press star.

Now comes the kicker. “Please hold for the next available service representative.” What? You call me and then ask me to hold for YOU? I gave them three seconds and hung up. They didn't call back.

Not that I'm holding my breath 'til they do. To me, it's the height of customer indifference to initiate a call supposedly for the customer's benefit and then put the customer on hold.

It's bad enough when you call in somewhere and get lost in voice mail jail or on hold for an interminable amount of time. You want to know where jobs went? They went into mindless technology. And it's going to get worse, not better.

It's the wave of the future and you better have a life vest handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment