Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hello, Your Calendar is Calling

I've had a cell phone of one sort or another for some time and I've used it only to make and receive calls. I'm aware today's phones have many other functions but frankly I rarely use them.

I can figure out an appropriate gratuity without using the the built in calculator. The camera is good for emergencies but not much else. And since my wife manages our social events (what wife doesn't?) I never used the calendar feature. Until recently.

Succumbing to societal pressures to exercise the multi-tasking capabilities of mobile devices, I decided to try out the calendar feature. I entered my golf tee time for last Wednesday and promptly forgot about it since I also keep a written calendar on my desk.

We're playing that morning when my cell phone lets loose a ring tone I never heard before. I knew it had to be a wrong number or a solicitation but by the time I wrestled the phone out of my golf bag I couldn't read the face of the phone because of the glare. I tried to answer it but there was no response. In any case the ringing stopped. So much for that.

This afternoon, however, I'm sitting in my son's dinette having coffee before going off to bottle our own-brewed beer, when the same foreign ring bursts forth from the phone in my pocket. What the #$*%!? But this time I can see the face of the phone and who is calling me but my calendar, reminding me that we are scheduled to bottle our beer starting at 12:30 p.m. Well, hell, that's why I was there in the first place.

I don't remember making that calendar entry but at least I now know what it sounds like when an appointment is due. I doubt I'll hear it again. I'm sticking to my handwritten calendar.

As for our own-brewed beer, it's delicious. L'Chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment