Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Hacker

This is getting surreal. I read today that hackers are now attacking other hackers and, in effect, outing them so perhaps the authorities can shut them down.

The question this raises in my mind is: don't these people have anything better to do than sit in front of a computer 24/7 prowling the internet? What kind of life is that? What would their mothers say? (The hackers probably couldn't care less).

I spent about an hour on my PC this afternoon looking for an overnight accommodation next week on our way to Bar Harbor, ME. We've been there before and have a good idea where we want to stay.

My point is that after a while I got sleepy. I'm sure I'm much older than the hacking hackers but even so it has to take a lot of time to scour the netherworld looking for miscreants. Don't their eyes get bleary? What stamina they must have! They must be driven by some inner force or...they're on steroids.

I suppose the end result may be worthwhile but what's the business plan? The story I read said nothing about a bounty for catching hackers red-fingered. Is it the joy of the chase? The romance of the “gotcha” moment? Go hack attackers, go!

Just stay way from my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment