Monday, April 11, 2011

FOMO Phobia

I learned a new acronym this weekend. FOMO, which means Fear Of Missing Out.

It applies to those persons being bombarded with various social networking notices from friends supposedly having the times of their lives at assorted venues without you. You are devastated. FOMO'd as it were.

Well, here's a thought. How do you know they're where they say they are? And how do you know they're having fun? Maybe they're miserable and would like you to be miserable, too. So they send you these messages just to taunt you. Even if they include photos to show you just how hilarious everything is how do you know they haven't been photo-shopped and pasted in? Huh?

What kind of friends show you they're having a wonderful time in your neighborhood and haven't thought to ask you to join them in the first place? Some friends.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here since I'm not into social networking, but a little common sense could go a long way to ease the FOMO phobia. When I don't like something on the radio or TV I turn it off. When I go into a movie or theater I turn my cell phone off. Sometimes I forget to turn it back on. No problem. If someone has sent me a message or called I'll get it eventually.

So if you don't want to be FOMO'd, turn off your electronic gizmos for a while and give yourself a break from all that socializing. It's good to be alone for a while.

This is a new and fast moving world and we're all trying to keep up. Me, I'm just muddling through.

No comments:

Post a Comment