Friday, April 29, 2011

Where are you?

A question often asked of someone on a cell phone since you could be almost anywhere. The answer is sometimes important, sometimes not.

And most important if you can't be reached. Then it becomes a source of frustration.

For example. I played golf today and was anxious to see how my bursitis would react. My wife also was concerned for me because carts could not go onto the fairways which were soggy from recent rains. This meant more walking than usual for me.

Normally I would keep my cell phone in my golf bag so as not to annoy anyone should it ring. In fact I don't expect anyone to call me on the course except maybe my wife. Or I would call her after nine holes just to check in.

As it happened, I had my cell phone in my pants pocket the entire day and it did not ring. Therein lay the problem. I found out the hard way that my wife had called me many times to see how I was doing. And the reason the phone didn't ring was because it was on vibrate and I did not feel the vibration.

Now, you may ask, why hadn't you called her as you say you do? Well, I thought she was at the beauty parlor at the usual call-in time, after the ninth hole. So I didn't call her and although she called me, I wasn't aware of it.

Hence this exchange when we both got home:

Where were you?
Where were YOU?
Why didn't you answer your phone?
I didn't hear it.
Why didn't you call me?
Weren't you at the beauty parlor?
No, that was earlier in the day.
Let's check your phone, I'm going to call you.
(Phone vibrates in pocket.)
I didn't know it was on vibrate.
Well, you should have called ME!
I thought you were...
Never mind, just bring in the groceries.

By the way, how's your leg?
Fine, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment