Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Survey Shelved

I must have missed the original story that the Obama administration was going to conduct a survey to see how difficult it was to get a doctor's appointment. This evening, the New York Times posted this item:

"WASHINGTON — The Obama administration said Tuesday that it had shelved plans for a survey in which “mystery shoppers” posing as patients would call doctors’ offices to see how difficult it was to get appointments. “We have determined that now is not the time to move forward with this research project,” the Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement late Tuesday.”

The merits of such a survey aside, my problem is getting to see the doctor once you have the appointment. The other day I had a 4 p.m. appointment to get a shot. Forty-five minutes later I asked the receptionist if they knew I existed. She assured me they did.

It was the doctor's first day back from vacation, she said, and he was all backed up. If they'd told me that in the first place I could have rescheduled for another day. I finally got my shot at 5:30.

Why do doctors book multiple appointments at the same time and then let you sit there waiting your turn? I think it's rude to treat people that way. I feel my time is just as valuable as theirs.

As a consultant my fee was based on the time I spent on a project. I've often thought about billing my doctors at my consultant's rate whenever I'm kept waiting an unconscionable amount of time. Of course, I never did.

Don't want to anger the guy with the needle.

No comments:

Post a Comment