Monday, October 17, 2011

I Can't Believe I Wrote The Whole Thing (Almost)

A few days ago I offered up the title “The Ego Pit” for your amusement and possible use as a story line. Thing is, I forgot that some time ago I actually created a cast of characters for this morality play. I hope you'll pardon the cynicism. It was well earned.

So here's how I see the staff of local station WEGO-TV, in no particular order:

The City Editor who has nothing but contempt for the pretty faces that pass for on air talent.
Assignment editor amused by his bosses' temper tantrums; has to smooth ruffled feathers to get anything on the air.
News Director totally cowed by the General Manager.
General Manager cowed by the Division Veep.
Executive Producer looking for his network break.
Anchorman: smooth, articulate, able to speak fluently for hours without knowing what he's talking about.
Handsome co-anchor on air for women to lust after and men to admire his wardrobe. Never covers a story.
Hot shot young reporter knows how to put together a dynamite package of pictures for a story with no substance.
The Girl: Looks great on camera; can't tell a news story from a spelling bee. Or when a spelling bee becomes a news story.
Minority reporters: Black, Hispanic, Asian, whatever. Have to keep the quotas up for license renewal.

That's how I saw it then and frankly I don't see much difference now.

I warned you I'm a cynic.

No comments:

Post a Comment