Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Subscribe to Unsubscribe

Like most people I get a lot of emails from places and people I never heard of and don't particularly care to hear from. Some of them give you the opportunity to “unsubscribe” to their offerings.

Problem is you have to “subscribe” to them to unsubscribe. I don't buy this. These sites got my email address from somewhere and since they are soliciting me to that address they should know what it is without me having to enter it again.

If I did, who knows where it would end up.

I was warned once that by “unsubscribing” you are, in effect, giving your email address to a third or maybe even a fourth party, or more. Which is why I usually don't subscribe to unsubscribe.

But once in a while I'll get an unwanted email and I'll click on their unsubscribe message. And once in a while it works without having to give my email address all over again. Mostly not.

If anyone knows how to permanently rid oneself of unwanted email solicitations I would subscribe to the advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment