Thursday, October 27, 2011

Waiting For Fun (ours) and Profit (theirs)

I went shopping with my wife this afternoon. That is she shopped. I drove and when we arrived at our destination, I found a comfortable chair and read the paper while she tried on clothes.

I don't mind this kind of shopping because it gives me time to sit quietly and catch up on the news, the columns and anything else that strikes my fancy that day. When waiting is expected it's important to have reading material with you. Sometimes I'll take a book. Today it was The Times.

After a while my wife came to my chair and modeled the garment she chose. This is when my role becomes: “The Approver.” I'm pretty good at it.

If I like what she's picked out I'll tell her. If I don't like it, it's a bit trickier, but I tell her as diplomatically as possible. No hard feelings necessary. Thing is, over the years she has come to trust my judgment.

This was a good day in that I finished the entire paper. Not that I read every word. I never do. I read what I like and usually find enough stuff each day to make the subscription worthwhile.

And since my wife found what she was looking for, it was a successful venture for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment