Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Coffee? Please.

How do you forget a habit? Or am I confusing habit with ritual? Or habit with something I normally do before going to bed. Like setting up the coffee maker for the morning.

Last night I forgot to do that. This morning, my wife, confident that my task was done, came into the kitchen and turned on the coffee maker. When a strange odor arose from the machine she realized something was wrong. Sure enough, there was no water in the tank and thus no coffee brewing.

She was very good about not screaming at me for forgetting to prep the machine. I was embarrassed. It was only the second time in years that I neglected that chore. I blame it on blogging.

It's a nightly toss-up whether I blog first and set up the coffee second or set up the coffee first and blog second. Depends on when the muse strikes. Last night I wrote so early that I completely neglected the coffee chore.

Tonight, I did the coffee thing first so I'm blogging now.

Habit has many definitions in my dictionary. One of them is a “an act repeated so often by an individual that is has become automatic with him.”

Except when he forgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment