Monday, February 6, 2012

The “Oy” Factor

Would you believe that this most expressive Yiddish word (or expression) is in the Webster's College Dictionary. Here's the definition:

“an exclamation expressing surprise, grief, pain, worry, etc.”

I love the “etc.” In other words, “Oy,” is a word for all seasons and reasons. I've been using it a lot lately whenever I get up or sit down. It bursts forth involuntarily to assist me getting up or sitting down, mostly from a couch.

And, of course, I used it tonight every time the Patriots scored against the Giants in the Super Bowl. Since the Giants eventually won, do you suppose Bill Belichick said “Oy” when Tom Brady's Hail Mary pass dropped to the ground in the end zone to end the game? I doubt it.

Giants fans, on the other hand, expressed the opposite of “Oy.”

Which is JOY! Well done Big Blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment