Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's funny, but it's not FUNNY...

I went to a monthly meeting tonight of a volunteer group I joined 15 years ago. Members have come and members have gone, but a small cadre of us are still active in the organization.

As with any group of people of a certain age the humor can be dark. One member said he asked his doctor about something behind his ear. The doctor told him he was “deteriorating.”

Another in our group said the same doctor told him he was “rusting.”

I'm going to see this same doctor soon for a checkup. I can't imagine what he's going to say about me. Words like “disintegrating,” “crumbling,” “falling apart,” come to mind.

How about just plain “getting old,” and collecting the natural ailments that accrue to the “old.” I hate the word “elderly.” Park that alongside “senior citizen.” (Although I accept all discounts offered to the breed.)

Describe us as you will, we'll continue muddling through the modern world.

No comments:

Post a Comment