Saturday, November 19, 2011

Not so fast...!

In this season of frenzied shopping a word of advice to the harried: check your credit card receipt. You may have been seduced by the price on the shelf or the label on the product but the scanner may not.

Couple of examples. I went to chain drug store recently and was pleasantly surprised that my product was on sale well below its normal price. I took two for slightly more than one normally would have cost.

Pleased with my bargain, I checked out only to discover just before I left the store that I was charged the full price. I immediately sought out a store manager. We checked the shelf where the sale tag showed the price I thought I was paying.

However, the astute manager, much younger and with much better eye sight, saw the fine print below the sale price which said “with coupon.” “What coupon?” I asked. To his credit, he took me to the front of the store, took a coupon book from a shelf near the entrance (which I never noticed) and gave me the sale price “with coupon.”

Today, I went to a liquor store to buy my favorite brand of champagne. I selected two bottles and checked out along with a bottle of wine that was offering a $2 rebate. As I was filling out the rebate coupon at home I noticed the price of the champagne was significantly higher than I was used to.

I called the store and asked “how come?” They asked if I had bought the organic version of the bubbly. Sure enough, I had selected the wrong vintage. Went back to the store and got a nice refund and my brand of choice.

Lessons for all seasons: read the labels, read the fine print, check the receipts.

No comments:

Post a Comment