Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Iowa

My Iowa was a lot quieter than tonight's caucus cacophony. For one thing it was years ago when I went to Davenport on business. It wasn't election time therefore there wasn't a politician in sight.

It was a lovely day and during a break I sat on the banks of the Mississippi River for a while, watching the world go by.

I was there to coach a group of young people who were about to go on tour promoting Oscar Mayer Franks. I was counseling them how to deal with verbal assaults (or worse) from representatives of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). The PETA people were/are known for aggressive actions.

The youngsters were enthusiastic and attractive and serious about their quest. I knew they would comport themselves professionally or as well as can be expected when riding in a vehicle shaped like a hot dog.

For my tastes, they were the only hot dogs who cut the mustard in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment