Friday, June 10, 2011

The "Guy" Thing

They don't mean anything by it but for some reason it irks me when the cheery host or hostess at a casual restaurant welcomes my wife and me by calling us "guys." Such as "Hi, guys, welcome to (name of restaurant) how many today?"

This is then followed by the equally cheery waitperson (who could be my grandchild) introducing him or herself and asking "what can I get you guys today?"

Just when did we become "guys" to these people and why does it bother me to be so addressed? I don't know but it does.

I'd prefer the word "folks." It just sounds more appropriate to persons of a certain age. And, I think, it offers a hint of respect. That would be nice.

And while I'm on the subject of respect, I cringe when addressed by my first name by some young person with whom I have a business transaction, such as in a bank. I am not above asking them to call me Mr. Friedman. I am not their buddy, I am their customer and I'm entitled to some deference.

To borrow from a Mary Chapin Carpenter song, "it's too much to expect, but no too much to ask."

So I'm asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment