Sunday, June 5, 2011

Printing is Good

I just printed out last month's Blogs to go with all the others I've published since Jan. 1, with the idea that someday I might want to put them into a book. Presumptuous, maybe. But, hey, people with a lot less on their minds have published in one form or another.

I'm not reminiscing about my childhood or telling stirring stories of family adventures, trials or tragedies. I'm just trying to convey what it's like for an 80-year old man to deal with a world that is transforming before his eyes.

I think back to what my mother witnessed in her lifetime before she died in 1971 at 82 – from the Wright Brothers to a man on the moon and everything in between. I'm almost that age now and the touchstones of my lifeline seem to be wars large and small plus advances in technology that boggle my mind. Notice I take space travel almost for granted. Ditto Great Depressions and Great Recessions.

I don't relate to social networking because I don't feel like sharing my life with the world on line. Yet I see how it is being used to speed communications between peoples around the world. Some hail this as a good thing. I'm not sure.

I'm picking and choosing among the plethora of new devices only those I find useful to my lifestyle. The rest I leave to the young and hope for the best for their sakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment