Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Forwarders

Every day I get email forwarded to me from far and wide. You probably do, too. Do you want it? Do you open it? Do you read it?

Answers: No, sometimes and sometimes, in that order. Depends on where it comes from and who's sending them There are some people I have begged to stop sending me stuff that did not originate with them. They still send. I just delete.

Some people forward consistently on the same subject assuming I'm also interested in it. After a while, I get it and it's no longer useful. Or interesting. Others love to forward jokes or cartoons. Most of them have been circling the internet since creation but the forwarder always thinks they are hilarious and must be shared. Not.

I've tried to tell people that when they forward an email they are possibly endangering the recipient's PC by also forwarding a virus. Hence my caution about opening unrequested emails. There is enough spam coming our way without friends and relatives innocently adding to the clutter.

Full Disclosure: I sometimes forward an email but I'm always circumspect about who I send it to. And nine times out of 10 it's pictures of our grandchildren or great-grandchildren. I think that makes me more of a reluctant receiver rather than a frequent forwarder.

How do you rate?

No comments:

Post a Comment