Monday, August 8, 2011

The Magnificent Muddle

My broker called me today. I call him a broker even though they like to call themselves financial advisers. I don't ask him for much advice but I do like to talk to him. He's a nice man and keeps on top of my portfolio, letting me know when I have to renew something or buy something different.

Of course, in today's market there really isn't anything worth buying.

I was born during the “Great Depression,” but I didn't know that until I read about in school. In the years since, I've made a few dumb stock purchases and an occasional good one. But thanks to my wife's innate conservatism most of our holdings are in fixed income of one form or another.

We don't get much interest but we sleep well at night. These are tough times for a lot of people but last weekend we went to a large shopping mall and it was crowded. We couldn’t tell if they were shopping, buying or just getting away from the heat. We bought some bedroom stuff. The food court was busy. And Starbucks was still selling $5+ beverages.

I play golf a couple times a week at a local public course and in between shanking shots we bemoan the state of the economy. Then hit the next one.

Everyone has their favorite culprits to blame for this mess. Even me, but I'm not getting into that.

We, all of us, will muddle through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment