Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Scents and Sensibilities

When you walk into certain department stores from a mall, chances are you'll be met by a group of well-dressed women, and sometimes a man, offering to spritz you with the scent of the day. It's the perfume department and you are the target of opportunity.

Sometimes you have to walk through a haze of scents. They mean well, these well-dressed salespersons, but sometimes I find myself, as I did last weekend, fighting through a phalanx of them just to get to the next department.

All they want to do is have you try one of their exotic scents before moving on. Who knows, you might like it and make a purchase. I've never stopped long enough to see if anyone actually tried out a scent or made a purchase. I hope the salespersons don't work on commission. It seems like a tough sell, catching someone on the fly, as it were.

However, it must be working for them or they wouldn't do it that way. So I guess it makes some scents after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment