Saturday, January 29, 2011

All Snowstorms Are Local

Every snowstorm brings out tales of hardship, sacrifice, good samaritans, heroics, not-so-heroics, and for the most part annoyance and discomfit. And with all the snow we've had this winter there are plenty of stories to go around.

I'd like to make an observation about something I've noticed in my own suburban New Jersey neighborhood. Believe it or not -- courteous drivers. Despite all the jokes about "Jersey Drivers," mostly canards foisted by lousy New York drivers, I had some very nice experiences recently once I got my car out of the driveway.

Thing is, all the snow plowing has actually narrowed the local streets to the point where two cars can barely pass each other. However, that hasn't stopped some people from parking on our side streets, making for a potentially interesting confrontation. Two cars approach each other to use the single available lane. Who goes first? Do we take the offensive and charge into the available lane? Or do we allow the oncoming vehicle to go first?

I have to tell you more often than not these past two days I've had the pleasure of oncoming cars allowing me to go first which, in turn, encouraged me to reciprocate when I had the opportunity to do so. I found it very rewarding to be polite.

I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment