Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Curse of the Indefinite Article

I'm talking about "it," "they," "them," "this," "that," etc., etc. etc.

Can't we just identify the object or person under discussion without resorting to the indefinites. I may not always be tracking the conversation or looking in the right direction when "it" is mentioned. This, of course, forces me to ask "what?" Which evokes a frustrated sigh which, without saying as much, conveys the silent message: "why can't you pay attention?"

Ditto discussions about people. I may be reading the paper or checking email or otherwise wool-gathering when the person or persons are first identified. Second references then become "him" "her" "they" or "them."

Who are we talking about? I ask innocently, bracing myself for "aren't you listening to me?" Apparently not with complete attention.  

I doubt if this "problem" is mine alone. I suspect others of my generation face similar situations with or without their hearing aids tuned in. (Disclosure: no hearing aids here but sometimes suggested.)

Truth is we know several people who wear those devices and we still have to repeat ourselves when talking with them. Yes, I used two indefinites in the previous sentence (underlined) but I believe they are readily understandable.

Yours for clearer communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment