Monday, January 24, 2011

Dropping Things

I drop things a lot. Mostly plastic items which are so light that most of the time I'm not even aware I'm touching them. The next thing I know they're toppling over and, worse, knocking other items over as well.

Sometimes they land on the floor, other times just on the kitchen counter. Did I say most of the dropping occurs in the kitchen? The flying items are mostly plastic drinking glasses, bottled water bottles, soft soap dispensers and the like. Because they're plastic they don't break but they do make a lot of noise and it can be startling when the dominoes start falling.

It got so worrisome I thought maybe I had lost some feeling at the ends of my fingers. So I went to a neurologist for an examination. He said I was fine.

One thing I've learned from all this: when the falling begins step back and wait until it's over. Trying to catch a falling object can only add to the mess or make it worse. Then, of course, I'm grateful I can pick it all up and, if necessary, clean up.

I blame it all on design. For instance, I find some silverware so oddly balanced it takes total concentration to keep it on a plate, no less on the table. I find plastic soap dispensers so narrow at the bottom it's a wonder they stay upright in the first place. An empty water bottle is just waiting to be knocked over, it's so light. And when it goes, it's sure to knock into something else and send that toppling too.

To avoid dropping things or knocking them over I try to remember to slow down and concentrate on what I'm doing. Sometimes I forget and you know what happens then.

Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment