Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Facebook Film

This is not a movie review. This is just a reaction from two people who just saw “The Social Network” on DVD in their living room.

We're glad we saw it since it was such a water-cooler film. But we don't hang around water coolers anymore. So for people long past the Facebook demographic it was a struggle on several fronts.

For one, we just don't hear as fast as the Zuckerberg character talked, particularly in scenes where the background music was so loud. We understand the music created a certain atmosphere but for us it did nothing. We surmised much.

I have a great respect for the screenwriter Aaron Sorkin since he created “The West Wing” and seeing him interviewed on TV I know he talks as fast as his scripted characters. It's just hard to keep up sometimes.

As for Facebook itself...I've admitted before I have a page but rarely look at it. I opened it because an organization I belong to created a page and I thought I should have access to it. I don't think we get much traffic.

An acquaintance, however, recently became a grandfather for the first time and posted pictures of the newborn on his Facebook page. He invited us to look, which we did and sent the traditional congratulations along with appropriate oohs and ahhs. She is cute.

So maybe there is a Facebook function for people of all ages. Judging from the movie, however, you get the impression it works best for social adolescents.

No comments:

Post a Comment